Bradley and Karen discuss a few different types of for-profit business models that are common around codebases licensed under the GPL.Running time: 00:30:45.
Segment 0 (00:30)
- Bradley mentioned Monty's blog post about the licensing of MySQL (01:10)
- Bradley pointed out that “dual licensing” is a misleading term for a proprietary relicensing business model, as discussed on the Your Questions podcast. (02:33)
- Bradley mentioned that he'd been making money as an independent consultant, which he wrote about in 2001 during the original Microsoft attacks on the GPL. (04:42)
- Bradley mentioned Cygnus Solutions as a good model of a Free Software, GPL-based company. (06:54)
- Bradley also mentioned Codesourcery as another example of a good GPL-based company (13:24)
- Bradley mentioned Dave Neary's talk at OSCON, Does Working with Free Software Have to Be So Hard? (23:52)
Send feedback and comments on the oggcast to <firstname.lastname@example.org> or <email@example.com>. You can keep in touch with the SFLC on our IRC channel, #sflc on irc.freenode.net, and by following SFLC on identi.ca.